Monday, February 16, 2009

Birding Bonanza!


This morning I headed out to look for a couple of Long Ear Owls that the birders from last night had given me a tip about. They were right where they saw them yesterday! Just a beautiful pair of birds. I went back to Oil City Road to look for the Sand hill Crane several people have seen over the last couple of days, no luck. I did get to watch a couple of muskrats and a nice Rough legged Hawk. Later in the afternoon, I was driving near home and pulled over to look in a recently flooded marsh area, and there were 3 Snow Geese! Terrific find. In with them were several hundred Canada Geese, around 3 dozen Pin tails, dozens of Mallards,Black ducks, a pair of Wood ducks, and a Gorgeous Male Common Merganser. Still later I took Petey for a loop at the Co. Park. Not much out, a few Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Golden Crowned Kinglets, heard a Robin and also a Pileated Woodpecker. Highlight....by the pond I heard something strange, it didn't sound like any bird I've ever heard, listened as it got closer, almost sounded like a dog, and then I realized it was in the air, I looked up and there were a pair of Tundra Swans flying right over me! What an end to a Birding Bonanza Day!

I found my feeder bird sick Crow dead in the side yard. He was moving very slowly yesterday, I knew it wouldn't be long. I hope that the food I provided helped him have at least some comfort during his last weeks. He was covered with growths, must have had some sort of cancer. I will leave his body were it is, and hope some other animal completes his cycle.

2 comments:

Lisa Town said...

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for the note! I may be having a 'brain flub' ? :p but I can't see a 'contact me' on your blog...nor do I have your email. If you'd like to keep in touch please contact me at
adelicateflower@gmail.com

Hope all is well with you and hoping for superfast, No More Cancer for me :)

Lisa xoxo

Lisa Town said...

haha... sorry... I forgot to say... 'Hello'... and your blogs look very interesting... I'll interlope as soon as I'm back to my interloping self :)

Lisa xo