Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My View


I have a yard full of birds today happily feeding on the bounty that I have spread before them. There are no less then twenty Cardinals filling my apple tree with their crimson spender. Christmas in February. I never tire of the privilege of watching the feeding creatures. Everyday brings a new sense of Wonder. I regress back to a ten year old who can't get over just how magical everything in nature is. Even a common Starling seen up close is a work of art. For me, there isn't anything more beautiful then a living creature or an object out in nature. No painting or sculpture could ever make me as excited as seeing even a simple house sparrow, a newly sprung mushroom, a beautiful stone, a small patch of moss or a tiny lichen. My laptop sits on the corner of my Kitchen table window, which has a cherry wood feeder that hubby custom made for me, it spans the width of the window. That feeder brings birds, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, opossums and even bears a glass pane away from my eyes. Everyday I am treated to the most amazing show I've ever seen. It changes seasonally as the creatures come and go during migration, nesting and feeding in other areas. I could never again live in a house that didn't have direct views of all the goings on in the natural world, I need this to feel alive and part of the natural world.

My Carolina Wrens continue to sleep in our breezeway. They are very cute and endearing and I hope in the Spring that they decide to continue on here and raise a couple of broods of babies like they have done the past few years. I have a variety of birds houses just for them, as the male likes to set up house keeping in several locations, and his mate gets to choose her favorite. Their cheerful song is a welcome alarm each morning.

Despite a very snowy day, Petey and I got out snowshoeing for an hour. Not surprisingly were the only ones up at Cascade Lake. Petey did a lot of zoomies, trying to show me just how happy he was to be out running around in the fresh powder.

No comments: