Friday, November 6, 2009

Red-Bellied Turtle





This is the turtle that I've mentioned in other posts. Last Thursday night, October 30th I was able to walk right up to her, and pick her up. No struggle at all. I had been keeping an eye on her for about two weeks now, knowing something must be wrong that she hadn't hibernated and was getting increasingly slow to react to people coming near her, even allowing photo shoots. Poor old girl has a URI. She will be spending the Winter with us, housed in a 110 gallon stock tank in my family room. She is 13 inches long and weighs 9 pounds. The vet gave her a broad spectrum antibiotic shot on Wednesday night, and she will get another tomorrow, and possibly a third on Monday night. I am very happy I was able to save her life. Her name will be Jilly.

Today is my last shift at the Hawk Watch. NW, 8 MPH winds expected, perfect Red-Tail flight conditions, but no clouds for hawk-watchers to see those migrating. Hope the forecast is wrong about the cloud cover. It would be great to go out of the 09 season with a bang!

No comments: