Tuesday, October 27, 2009

First Transport



Today I transported this Bittern for my Humane Society. He lost a leg so he couldn't be released unless he has had long term rehab and after the Winter as his species has already migrated for 2009. He was placed with a nice man up in Petersville NY. It took me two hours and forty five minutes to drive up there. What an amazing man, he houses about twelve hundred birds. I got a tour of the facility, and held a people imprinted wood-duck who talked to me. What a cute bird. I so enjoyed being involved with the Bittern. http://www.birdparadise.org/index.htm

I may end up going to the Humane Society and walk dogs again. Brakes my heart how many animals are there now. So many purebred dogs too, who if they had been purchased from a good reputable breeder could have gone back to them, to be re-homed. How little people must care about their animals, treating them as if they were possessions they are tired of. Even with job loses, I wonder how many people put their dog or cat in a shelter and yet still have internet, cell phones, cable TV, smoke, drink, or do any number of things that could add up to being able to keep their pets. I know when I was a poor nineteen year old college kid and got my first dog, if it was between Khan or myself eating....Khan ate. I lived in some pretty crappy places so I could have my dogs. They came first, they were my family. Something has to change....4 million dogs can't continue to die because of the selfishness of humans.

No comments: