Friday, August 12, 2011

Lake George Vacation 8/6-8/13/11














While this was not one of my favorite nature vacations by far, I some how managed to find lots of little moments filled with natures infinite beauty. The house we rented was in Ticonderoga. Right on the end of Lake George, actually the last water front piece of property possible. It is surrounded by other houses. If I had to choose over again, I would have made a phone call and asked more questions. I was very disappointed after arriving here. I really needed to have lots of nature time to clear my head out and do some deep thinking, and it was immediately apparent it was not going to happen in this house during this week of vacation. Having the two dogs with me, and no easy access to nearby trails other then getting in the car and driving for a long distance was a huge disappointment. I made the best of the situation, and enjoyed the vaca for what it was worth. Lots of people I love were around, so quality times with all of them made up for the lack of deep nature time. I think it's time to take Backpacking up again. I need to get away from it all.....into the wild.

On a bright note the owner of the house left lots of native plants all around the house instead of ornamental plantings, so the bird life was awesome. There was constantly birds around to watch.

I also read an entire book, that hasn't happened in a very long time. *The Nature Principle* by Richard Louv Excellent read and about the very subject I've been thinking about for my entire life. I've always tried to put a name on how I feel when I'm away from nature for too long, and this book describes exactly how I feel. I am at a crossroad as what to do with my life after my parenting is done. I want to find a niche that I fit in to. I need to do some worthy work now that I'm not needed any longer to mother 24/7. Helping people get over their Nature Deficit Disorder seems to me a very worthy way to spend my free time. To give people back the awe and wonder they once felt as children....that alone would be the biggest gift I could give to others.

As I started to spend more quality time with my two dogs,Petey and Monty, letting them swim and have fun, I remembered WHY I took this cottage....for THEM to be able to come along, and also have their own vacation. It isn't always about *ME*. Some day I will have my time, it just isn't now.

No comments: