Monday, February 20, 2012

Harbinger of Spring!


I'm participating in the annual Great American Backyard bird count as I have since it's very first year. While I haven't had great numbers of birds due to the mild winter we are experiencing, I can always count on decent variety. I had Grackles, then Cowbirds and now today....Red-Wing Blackbirds, our harbinger of Spring on the East Coast! Spring is almost here again, with all its glory. I love this time of year best as the earth after a long rest comes alive again. There are already chipmunks up and running around the yard, and I eagerly anticipate seeing all the reptiles and amphibians who have been hibernating since the Fall. It won't be long before the song of Spring Peepers fill the air, and I have to take in my bird feeders because the bears will be up and hungry. Life begins again.

No comments: