Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Sunday




Yesterday hubby, Petey and myself went for a wonderful 3.5 hour hike up to Cascade Lake Park. It was sunny, windy and only about 45 degrees out. Hubby has been clearing the trails for mountain biking and he took me up to a beautiful swamp that I have never been to before. It was a Beaver home in the not too distant past. There was a dam as well as three lodges. It is a oasis on the top of the mountain. Full of birds and all sorts of other creatures. We hiked all the way up to the AT and could see Greenwood Lake. It was so nice to spend such quality time with my hubby, I really miss hiking with him. We went home a prepared a meal of Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb, Asparagus and Scalloped Potatoes. Great Easter!

Today I returned to the Swamp because it was another gorgeous day with warmer temperatures and no wind. There were a few species of birds, my first N. Water Thrush of the year. Phoebes, Tree Swallows, lots of Turkey Vultures flying over, Juncos, Chickadees, Robins, W.T. Sparrows, Wood Duck, Mallard. I now have a new spot to go for the BIG NIGHT~the puddles at Cascade Lake have as many Spotted Salamander egg masses as the Vernal Pool up in the Co. Park. Much easier to get to in the pouring rain. I moved a Zip Loc bag full of eggs to a safer body of water. They were getting run over by the ATVs that are illegally riding up in the park. Tomorrow I have plans to move even more egg masses, the puddles are drying up and the egg masses don't stand much of a chance of producing nymphs if I don't move them. I also brought home a few egg masses to hatch and head start. Every year I hatch amphibian eggs, and I never tire of watching them. It gives me a chance to be a kid again.

In the backyard scene we have lots of frisky squirrels, and I noticed some of the females are already nursing. Red Squirrel is here most days. A raccoon has been coming on the window feeder. I still have Juncos, W.T. Sparrows, Pine Siskin, Gold Finch that are almost all yellow, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Downys, Robins, Red Wing Blackbirds, Grackels, Cowbirds, T.T. Mouse, Chickadee, Juncos, Turkeys,

No comments: