Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Boots



I am my mothers daughter after all. Just like mom, I have a thing for shoes. When I was growing up my mom was forever getting a new pair of shoes. Mom loves to shop and loves getting a bargain even more then shopping. She would find a pair that she wanted, and then wait for them to go on sale. She would check on those shoes every time she went to that store, and wait for the price to hit her magic $5 and then score...she would own them. She had to sneak them in the house so my dad didn't bust her chops. My mom had more shoes then all of our family put together! I am not a shopper and I don't wait for bargains. I also don't get into dress shoes. I know what I like, and I usually buy my dress, party shoes online, and keep them forever. I'm a boot, clog, flip flop kind of women, if it isn't comfortable, I won't wear them. Once I have a few pairs in my closet, I give little thought about shoes until they start looking really worn, then it becomes a chore to replace them. The exception is my love of hiking boots. About every two years I replace my hiking boots. I start looking at reviews and I am forever hopeful to find that perfect pair. They need to fit like a glove, repel water, have good traction and look decent too. I have learned that buying cheap hiking boots isn't worth it for me. They wear out so quickly that there is no savings, you end up buying 2 or more pairs in the same time frame that a good pair lasts. Back in the Fall I replaced my worn out sneakers with a pair of Merrells. They are the most comfortable sneakers I've ever worn. So this year I decided to really treat myself and go for Merrell hiking boots. My feet are in heaven, I may have finally found the brand I will stick with for the rest of my life. Time will tell.

Now Spring has definitely sprung here in lower NY. Sadly I missed the *Big Night* again, I didn't get so see even one Spotted Salamander and the Vernal Pools are full of eggs. I found that they must have come out over several days, because we would have rain, and then a nice day, then rain again. Wood frogs have also laid their eggs, but are still in the pools along with Spring Peepers, all singing their little hearts out. Skunk Cabbage leaves are unfolding. Trout lily plants are all over the ground now, and should flower soon. Trees are full of flowers. Hints of green are filling the woods. On April 1st one of my feeders was taken out by a bear, so I knew they were out of hibernation, last night we confirmed that while out driving to a party we saw our first bear of 09! I never tire of seeing them it is always as exciting to me as the very first one I saw many years ago at Waywayanda Park in NJ. My Pine Siskins continue, still a large flock of about 200. Black bird flocks in the thousands. I've been seeing wood ducks quite often, and actually saw a pair on my street checking out a big ole tree that has potential next cavities. Vultures are everywhere. Lot's of deer in the woods, Petey is doing very well with not chasing after them. It has been a heavenly Spring....just wish it didn't move so quickly so I could savor it more! Get out there and enjoy!

1 comment:

doberkim said...

now you have me wanting to try merrell sneakers...