Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Monarchs




As of Sunday September 26 we still have Hummingbirds passing through and feeding on the flowers. I cleaned and refilled one feeder, the rest are cleaned and stored for the Winter. This is the latest I've ever seen one in my yard.

This morning I have several Monarch's on the Butterfly bush. It is rainy, but humid and fairly warm, they are still migrating. I take great joy as I see each one passing by. The last few years there haven't been many during the migration season. This year has been the best in over a decade for the Monarch population. A massive die off in 2002 in Mexico their Wintering grounds took it's toll on the population. Tens of millions died due to a snow storm and then temperatures in the 20s for several nights in a row. This past warm Summer helped massive numbers of them survive and now make their long way down to Mexico. I've seen them every where I've been over the last month, in great numbers too. Not just the occasional sighting. Seeing something as fragile as a butterfly survive a long journey to Mexico, makes me realize that lots of things in life can be overcome with a bit of hard work and tenacity.

No comments: