Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Count 2010



I had a wonderful time out birding with two of the most outstanding birders I know. Both have been birding more years then I have been alive. We spent about 8 hours out in the field and tallied more then 40 species, which is excellent for our area in the Winter. Most of the area we were assigned is in the black dirt region of Orange County NY. We are blessed to have Tundra species visit us every Winter. Notables were a Lapland Longspur, Rough-legged hawks, both light and dark phase. Personally I find the Dark phase Rough-legged Hawk to be the most beautiful of all Raptors that inhabit our area. The gorgeous sunset picture was taken while observing 7 Short-ear owls hunting over the fields. What a special end to a fantastic day of birding.

Tomorrow marks a New Year! 1/1/11 what a awesome number to start the year with! For the first time in a long time, I will be putting myself as number ONE, I will be spending the next couple of years educating myself further. I'm excited to finally make some steps forward for my future, with out worrying about taking time from my family. It's time for me to step up my pace, my sons are almost all grown, and my life is ticking away. It's NOW OR NEVER.

No comments: