Saturday, November 19, 2011

Found my calling


Yesterday I took an amazing Intensive Turtle Rehabilitation class, taught by the states top turtle rehabber. She is a total inspiration. I learned so much from her, and her methods are so simple and straight forward that I feel so much more confident to try and save turtles who have been hit by cars or chewed up by dogs.

As of late I've been spreading myself out a bit too much with what I want to do with the next chapter of my life. It's been great fun to take classes and connect with like minded people, to finally have the opportunity do what I've dreamed about since I was a young girl. I love all aspects of nature, but was confused as to what I should focus on to make a life contribution that has a lasting effect in the world. Turtles have always been my first love. Saving just one native turtle is an incredible contribution to the species. They are so long lived and in such danger of extinction, due to development, traffic and poaching. It takes a female wood turtle sixteen years to reach sexual maturity. Because her egg clutches are so small, she needs to live twenty years to reproduce herself just one time. Taking just one turtle out of her habitat has devastating future consequences for an entire population. I am going to do everything I can to help preserve the local populations of turtles here in my town. I have finally found my calling just a month before my 52nd birthday. How beautiful of a birthday gift is that? So grateful.

No comments: