Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Oct 29th Snow Storm










What is a true friend? One that comes out in a snow storm to bring you a Paper wasp nest so that your resident Carolina Wrens have a warm place to sleep at night! The other night with a threat of frost I brought in the two ferns that hang on the front porch. I put them in the family room. Monty didn't see me move them, so when he went to go in the family room, he got a bit upset as to what was on the floor. I walked him over to the plants and suddenly a bird flies out of the fern! OH NO....I knew immediately it was one of the wrens. As we were trying to catch this poor bird, my son comes in the room and asks why there is a bird flying around the FR? We were in the LR....YIKES now there was two in the house. I managed to catch them, put the ferns and birds in the breezeway. Early in the morning I opened the door and they both flew out, none worse the wear for their experience. My friend had offered me a big beautiful nest a few weeks back, we were waiting for a killing freeze. I texted him to see if he still had the nest for me, told him the story, yes he had already cut it down. I never made it over his house to pick it up. During the early hours of the crazy snowstorm, he shows up at my house with the nest. I hung it on the front porch and almost immediately the wrens were there checking it out. I know were there are two more big nests this year, both are too high and hanging over ponds for me to collect. Grateful to my friend!

No comments: