Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Monty 22 monhts old

“If you care about something you have to protect it – If you’re lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it.” ~ John Irving












Today is Monty's 22nd month old birthday. I decided that the best way to celebrate was to take a long hike with him. It was over cast and in the high 30s, no wind and very comfortable weather to hike. Not too many birds around, mostly junos, chickadee and I heard a Pileated woodpecker calling.

It was good to have so much quality time to think. I've had so much company since the week before Thanksgiving that there has been little time for long hikes. I can't remember the last time I hiked for 2.5 hours. I decided during my hike that I need more quiet in my life. I am back to turning the TV during the day when I'm home and despite watching nature shows, they are depressing me. All of them talk about how bad things are on this planet, how everything is on the verge of extinction. A decade ago I gave up reading the news paper and watching the news, because I was internalizing all the pain and hurt that people were going through. Now the same thing is happening to me with animals and nature, I feel so hopeless thinking about what is going on, and how bad things really are. My heart is too big, I feel pain too deeply. I can only do what I CAN DO. I can't save the world, but I can write letters to the editor, donate to organizations that I believe in, walk my talk and continue to help my local wildlife in need with my Rehab work. Tonight I took in a sharp-shinned hawk, he had a collision with a car, hopefully he makes it though the night. He is resting comfortably in a dog crate, in our back bedroom.

I came to the conclusion that my bucket list for the year is a bit overwhelming. It has my head spinning. I am not going to pursue the Master Naturalist right now, nor do a volunteer project this Winter. I realize now that I need to tackle one thing at a time, right now it's going to be my eating and fitness. Until I get that under control nothing else is going to be easy for me. The first 10 days of this year have been effortless. I feel great, not hungry and not craving. Next I will work on Simplifying again, it's time to purge the mess and stop buying anything new except food, vitamins and personal beauty items. I have a closet full of clothing that I can't wear because of the excess weight. I could have a whole new wardrobe in another month if I keep eating right. It feels good to let go of everything else until I'm good and ready to tackle it. One day at a time, eat right, exercise and sleep good.

No comments: