Friday, June 15, 2012

Surprise!

Raccoon footprints
Sow Bear guarding tree with her 3 cubs



 I set out on my hike with a very heavy heart, deep in thought about my hubbies on going nightmare with his cancer.  We went for a second opinion yesterday to one of the best hospitals in the world and have decided to put him in their hands for future care.  They will be doing another biopsy and more surgery in the next week or so. Today  I felt like laying down and sobbing. There is no escaping the worry we are going through, this is real life stuff, no peace right now.  I'm trying so hard to be strong and just be there for him and our sons.  It all feels like too much some days.  As I hiked along all of a sudden, Monty was off after something.  I looked up as I had been scanning the ground looking for herps, there was a sow and three cubs!  The cubs all promptly treed as called Monty in.  The sow did a couple of bluff runs at Monty and another at me when we tried to go past her guarding the base of the tree that her cubs were in.  I felt no fear, but retreated to a more comfortable distance from her and then sat down and watched her for about ten minutes, she soon laid down and went to sleep.  Her cubs safely sleeping up in the tree, she at the base. You never know what awaits you when you take to the trail.  This was one of my favorite nature moments EVER!  So it goes, the good with the bad....it sure made my day!

While we ate a delicious hubby made dinner under our canopy outback, we watched 2 bucks in the backyard.  It was awesome!

No comments: