Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday church


Today was Sunday.  I was up early to feed the baby squirrels and decided to get up to the park right after a cup of tea and their little tummy's were full. We were on the trail by 8am.  As I entered the deeper part of the forest where few hike I felt so alive and such a deep connection with all of nature.  I am a part of the whole.  As I hiked on I felt deeply grateful for this amazing world we have been gifted with,  The beauty and mystery of nature still takes my breath away on a daily basis.  For those of us who seek getting outside at every given chance our lives are so full of such wonder and beauty. While on my hike  I had a lot of nice sightings.  Crows were mobbing something unseen, I assume it was an owl, who was bedding down for the day. Overnight two underground bees nests that were dug up by a bear.  Monty put his head right in the first one, with all of the nest exposed and hundreds of bees around, thankfully it was chilly and they were moving slowly,  so I was able to call him off quickly before he was stung.  With the second underground hole he was up ahead with another dog and by the time I realized what was going on, both had been stung.  Luckily only one sting for poor Monty, it got him in the back thigh. The other dog, Penny wasn't so lucky, she received three stings.  Further on the trail there was a fawn off to the side of the trail, we were hiking quietly and didn't alarm him, so we ended up  staring at each other for a good five minutes.   He wasn't all that far from me, and I knew his mom was close, I had seen here cross the trail a head of me.  Standing perfectly still he watched me with curiosity,  Monty being the great dog he is, sat and waited while I filled my soul with the image of this precious creature.  Moments spent with innocent animals make me want to become a vegan and only eat seafood occasionally.  While I was watching the fawn,  I became aware of 3 fledgling bluebirds testing their wings.  There were also lots of nuthatches and chickadees about.
On the home front, all I can say is holy hummingbird! A few days ago  I put up 3 tiny feeders near my kitchen window and have been entertained since like never before.  Right now I am laying on the couch under the canopy and there is a constant stream of them feeding right in front of me.  They are already in migration mode,  some of these birds could be from further north.  Our males have already departed.  Most of these are juveniles and females.                                                    

No comments: