Sunday, February 8, 2015

Gyrfalcon!!!

I don't often get new birds on my life list.  Two days ago while on Face Plant I saw a post on a NY Bird group of pictures of a Gyrfalcon, at first I couldn't believe my eyes that the pictures were from  Wallkill NY!  Yesterday was out of the question for me to go and look for the bird as I had Nancy's funeral.  My friend Matt Zeitler got the bird at 3 pm.  These pictures are his.  I woke up this morning and decided I'm was out to find the bird.  Hubby and I drove around the area for a while, no one had seen the bird yet.  After about an hour I told hubby he can leave and he said no, he wanted me to see the bird. He parked the car where the bird was observed yesterday and not 5 minutes later we see the flock of ducks in the field right next to the car lift up, I knew in my heart that the bird was coming in.  He did!  We watched him dive bomb the ducks two times, and had amazing looks and he flew only ten feet over our heads.  Such a crazy adrenaline kick!  

Photo by Matt Zeitler

Photo by Matt Zeitler
Photo by Paul Bourdin


Today ranked as a top 10 birding moment.  Right up there with seeing my first Bald Eagle in Florida in 1978.  An adult and a juvenile on a nest, shown to me by my Grandpa.  Seeing a California Condor two times at two different visits to  the Grand Canyon.  Seeing Scarlet Macaws in Costa Rica.  Watching the class of 2002 Whooping Cranes flying behind an Ultralight. Last Winter seeing my first Snowy Owl. Birding never gets old, always something to look forward to. 

And can I add?.....I LOVE MY LIFE!  TRULY BLESSED TO GET TO DO WHAT I LOVE ON A DAILY BASIS! 

No comments: