Monday, September 21, 2009

Dad and Uncle Scholar on the Cobia

This picture is a cherished childhood memory for me. It is of my Dad and his best friend in the entire world, heading out to do what they loved doing best, fishing. Look at the JOY on my Uncle Scholars face. The location of the photo was while we were on our annual vacation to Mr. Whites cabins in Aquebogue LI. We went each Summer for two weeks, for thirteen years. Some of my fondest lifetime memories were from those vacations. Two weeks of complete bliss living in a tiny cabin on the bay. Dad and Uncle Scholar would head out fishing everyday, some times forgetting about all of us, as they would continually see birds over schools of fish, and head to the next hot spot. We never minded, as we would have fresh fish to eat that night. Some nights after dark they could be seen out jacking crabs with a spotlight. The laughter from the two of them would echo all the way through our tiny cabin walls. We knew that the next day a feast would be at hand, nothing tastes as delicious as a fresh Blue Crab. Some days Uncle Scholar would dig clams at the and bar. At Mr. Whites there was nothing but time to immerse yourself in nature. Back when there was no TV, radio, computer, or cell phone. Nothing to distract you from real life. It was time to became who I really was, if I forget as I often do, those are the memories I reach for to refresh my soul. Summer wasn't the only season Dad and Uncle Scholar would find themselves spending time together. Luckily my mom also became best friends with Uncle Scholars wife, my Aunt Judy. The two couples made it a point to see each other many times each year. Mom and Aunt Judy would head out shopping at every given chance, and dad and Uncle Scholar would be either hunting or fishing. Our visits with their family coincided with the outdoor sporting seasons. In the Spring we would find ourselves up on the Esopus Creek for Trout Season, later it would be for Bass. Fall would bring us back upstate for pheasant and then later deer. My childhood revolved around these trips, I looked forward to each one and will never forget how much they enriched my life and love of nature. I loved watching my dad hang out with his best friend. They had such a comfortable friendship, that few people get to experience in their lifetime. My dad was never happier then when he was outside in nature spending time with his best friend. It warms my heart to think about them together. My dad has been gone for years, so now when I see my Uncle Scholar, I cherish every moment I get to be with him, he is a part of my dad that I still have here on earth. I am grateful for that.

No comments: