Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall



I've been getting outside every chance I can and thoroughly enjoying all the gifts of beauty that our glorious Fall here on the east coast has to offer. The weather has been beautiful, and the bird migration has been good. Today Petey and I hiked it up to the AT Greenwood Lake overlook. Beautiful view, breeze blowing perfumed with the scents of Fall. I wished that I had thought to pack a small lunch and some water, so I could have sat and enjoyed the view for a little longer. Back down at the old beaver pond the area was full of Warblers, Phoebes, and Ruby Crowned Kinglets. Later on at the pond I had my first W.T. Sparrows. Phoebes are my Harbinger of Spring, and also of Fall.

Ten days ago I had a big day at the Hawk Watch with 1381 birds, very nice considering I thought two days before that was our big day at Mt. Peter. I was also present for the afternoon of the other big day, and added quite a lot of birds to the count. I've had some great looks at adult Bald Eagles, Osprey, and a Peregrine Falcon. The Broad-wing flight although not great this year, afforded those of us who put the time in, some nice close looks at hundreds of them, doing what they do best kettling in large flocks, one of the phenomenons of nature I never tire looking at. I'm a bit sad that their flight is over. http://hmana.org/index.php

I think bears are my totem animal, I see so many every year, and still get just as excited as the very first time so many years ago. Edit to add on October 5. A total of 10 bear sightings in 13 days, just had two at the same time, both big adults. One was crossing Pumpkin Hill into our yard and the other was in our next door neighbors yard at the same time. Petey treed one in Cascade Lake, saw one little guy 3x up on Cascade Lake Road, and had 4 other different ones on our road in the last week. The most bears I've ever seen any year so far.

No comments: