Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nature Inspired Fitness



For today's hike I decided to give my new Five Fingers Vibram Shoes a try. I really like them, it took a little bit to get used to feeling rocks under your feet, but after a few minutes they felt great. I found the grip and balance to be outstanding. My legs are already achy. I guess we don't realize how our leg muscles are no longer completely worked out by wearing stiff soled hiking shoes, instead of being barefooted as nature intended. As I went along I watched Petey enjoying our hike. He got me thinking about how fit he is now, how his muscle mass is now exposed after his recent weight loss. He is really enjoying his new lighter frame, now able to run and jump with complete ease. He doesn't need any fancy gym equipment to maintain his fitness, he simply needs a hike in the woods. Spending his time walking, running, jumping and swimming is all it takes. We humans tend to complicate things, and really my fitness routine can be just as simple and pleasant as Petey's work out. Spend part of my hike using my body for more then just walking, do a little sprinting, lift something heavy, tree push ups, balance on a log, rock jumping and stretching. Petey never misses an opportunity for a good stretch. How enjoyable to spend ones time in the woods and not have to rely on a boring gym to stay fit and healthy.

2 comments:

Lisa Town said...

Cool Shoes! I just got home from a run... couldn't agree with you more. Too often we complicate things... when the simplest path is often the best one... not to mention the most enjoyable :)

Lisa

M.T. said...

Those shoes are really neat!!! I've read about them before but haven't actually seen them worn on a person yet ... you have nice feet ;)