Monday, September 21, 2009

Privileged childhood



I had a privileged childhood, I just didn't know it until now. I grew up on Long Island in New York. When I was six my Dad made an extravagant purchase for that time, a brand new 20 foot fiberglass boat. It was his pride and joy. He loved to fish and spend time out on the water and swimming in the ocean. Our family spent every Summer weekend out on the Great South Bay, going to beautiful Gilgo beach. This past weekend, I returned to the Great South Bay upon my good friends boat. I had not been out there in thirty years, the last time with my dad, as I fished along side of him, it was then he told me that is where he wanted his ashes spread. He also told my hubby the same thing a couple of years later while he also was fishing with him. Yesterday we were able to make his wish a reality, although most of him is in a cemetery on Long Island, a tiny bit of my Dad has returned to the place he loved best. It was a very emotional time for me, as I felt like I was setting dad free. I saw Long Island with new eyes, having forgotten just how beautiful the bay and ocean are. I realized how lucky I had been to be surrounded by something so wonderful, and how much the days spent playing in the sea shaped my love and awe of nature. Every year I must visit the salt water, it seems to make all things right for me. The sights, sounds and smells filled my soul like nothing else. The main reason we went out to the beach this weekend was for a benefit for a HS friend who has terminal cancer. There were eight bands playing, lots of old friends, good food, drink and the magical beach. It was like stepping back thirty plus years, cutting school and going to the beach. Because of the circumstances and reality of why we were really there, I stayed in the moment, being ever grateful for my good health. I absorbed every second of my day and night, hoping to take it home with me, and I have. I slept like a baby on the boat, first night in many months,the boat rocking me to sleep, the salt air clearing my head. My heart is so full, that I feel completely at peace.

No comments: