Saturday, February 20, 2010

Birding with Petey!





My hubby is on his annual trip to GA riding and male bonding with all his Dirt-bike friends. I decided to get up and go out birding with my faithful sidekick Petey. We headed out to the black dirt region of Orange County NY. We drove out on Missionland Road looking for a couple of rarities that had been spotted Thursday. We were unsuccessful finding the Lapland Long-spurs and Snow-buntings, so we will give it a go tomorrow morning as well. At the end of the road 5 turkeys and a rooster upon seeing my car came running down the dirt road to see us. They were so funny, got right up close to the car. They retreated once they took a look at Petey who had his head hanging out the window watching in amazement as the six birds ran full speed towards the car. We continued on over to another location to hopefully find the Long-ear owls that spend the Winter in a certain stand of pines, I easily found three of them. I picked up a half dozen owl pellets for dissecting later on. I love to see what they have been eating. We went on to Oil City Road, nothing notable out there. I did see one Rough-Legged Hawk. After that we stopped at Iron Mountain hiking trail and I let Petey out for a little run. We headed towards home and went to the property we are buying and did a little snowshoeing. A pair of Red-Tails were on the top of our little mountain, and a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers were down by the river cursing from dead tree to dead tree. Wonderful day spent with the best dog ever.

Yesterday on our Snowshoe up at Cascade Lake Park we had a small flock of Robins, and Bluebirds eating multiflora Rose Hips. Beautiful birds against the white backdrop of snow.

No comments: