Friday, March 26, 2010

Bear, snapping turtle and egg masses





Last night I had my first Black Bear sighting, he was in the backyard trying to get at an empty feeder. He ran soon as I opened the window to get a picture of him. People always ask if I'm afraid of them, and honestly I tell them no. I don't have an ounce of fear when I see one. I love Black bears and cherish every single moment I get to spend with one. I'm still watching the Lily and Hope cam. http://www.bear.org/website/lily-a-hope/live-den-cam.html I hope next Summer to take Dr. Lynn Rogers Bear class.


Today Petey and I went up to the Co. Park at 7am. Immediately after getting out of the car, I saw a male Pilated Woodpecker. It was 37 degrees out. We hiked up the trail and I checked each Vernal Pool along the way for female salamanders, it had rained during the night, and there were none...but there were newly laid egg masses, I missed it again. Next year I try again.

New Rehab today, blind snapping turtle missing part of his front leg. Animal shelter got him in this afternoon, he was in a sewer. A runner found him. He must have come out of hibernation and not made it back to his pond. He is very healthy. I will keep him for a few days and release him in a pond that he will be able to find lots to eat. It is amazing how well snapping turtles are able to survive, despite disabilities, . Years ago when I was a runner, early in the morning I came across a female Snapping Turtle laying eggs on the side of the road, she had no eyes. I saw her again the following year, again laying her eggs. Snapping Turtles are amazing creatures. At this past years wildlife rehab conference I took a class on saving snapping turtles that have what would appear to be fatal injuries including head trauma. Most can make it,we were encouraged to try and save them, give them lots of time, maybe a couple of years. I need more large Rubbermaid containers, better start watching the sales. Right now I have 5 turtles, 1 pet, 2 rehabs and 2 fosters. It's raining turtles and Spring has just sprung!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We rescued a blind snapping turtle hatchling this Summer, we''ve had him for about 5 months now. He seems to like his aquarium.