Friday, December 30, 2011

Simplifying the Holidays

Brown Paper Wrapping

Simple Holiday Tree



Wild Greens



XMas Eve Tree for the Birds


Goodies for the wild birds





This year I tried to simplify our family holiday traditions. It isn't easy letting go of the past and embracing a newer more peaceful less commercial season. I plan on furthering the simplifying next year. I realized what I love best about this time of year, is the time we have with our family and friends. If I spend every available bit of energy getting things done so that others can have a wonderful time, where does that leave me? Exhausted and unable to enjoy any of it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life taking care of everyone but me. I am going to further cut back next year.

I did decorate my bird tree with lots of goodies, and I love that tradition just as much as the very first year I started doing it. This year we picked out a smaller Xmas tree and I filled it with all my bird ornaments, it was my dream tree! I loved decorating the tree for the first time ever. I actually enjoyed the process. I am the only one in my home who puts up and takes down tree, so why do it for anyone else? They don't care what I do with it. I decorated the outdoor Window boxes and baskets with wild greens and berries that the birds can eat. Hubby put up his big wreath on the barn, which is his favorite tradition. He also baked a couple kinds of cookies that HE enjoys. I wrapped all the gifts in brown paper that is recyclable, no one said a word about it. We threw a Winter Solstice Bon-Fire party up at our Tipi. I think that was our favorite night. Being out in Nature and grateful for all that we have filled us with so much love. Next year I am going to make a suggestion to our family and friends that no gifts should be exchanged, instead make a commitment to meet everyone at a restaurant or each others homes during the year and enjoy a special meal together. Same cost, just less stress for all of us! I am also not going to do cards again. I feel they are a big waste of paper, and with facebook email and the phone....I keep up with everyone I care about on a daily basis.

My newest tradition was celebrating the Festival of Lights. Each day I would light a candle that focuses on a Pantheist value which corresponds to the value focused on in each month of the year. It is simple, beautiful and reminds me just how blessed I am. The tradition starts with the Solstice and continues until the New Year. Love it.

12/20-The Universe (Jan)
12/21-Nature (Feb)
12/22-The Environment (March)
12/23-Humanity (April)
12/24-Love (May)
12/25-Unity (June)
12/26 Freedom (July)
12/27-Virtue (August)
12/28-Peace (Sept)
12/29-Beauty (Oct)
12/30-Knowledge (Nov)
12/31-Joy (Dec)

Festival of Lights


Despite having the major loss of my beloved Petey and then going through the death of my wonderful step brother with my mother and stepfather, my life is good.

I am feeling extremely blessed and grateful for all of 2011. I am happy to be back to my old self, I missed being full of joy and a sense wonder for each blessed day that I'm given here on this beautiful earth.

1 comment:

blueskyartist said...

So sorry for your losses this year! I, too, lost 2 pets and then my young cousin. These heartbreaks help us remember to cherish every moment and all the wonderful people in our lives. You have a great point about doing too much and trying to make everyone else happy so you get too stressed to enjoy the holidays yourself. I have so been there. Took it pretty easy this year. Next year is my turn to host festivities at our house, but I will be keeping it super simple and trying to focus on just having fun spending time with family.
I'm not much for ceremony, but I did the pantheist festival of light the last two years. It's a good thing to think about the values at the end of the year, to sort of center yourself and remember what's important. I like your colorful candles...mine were all boring white! I think I'll go with all different colors next year! Have a happy new year!