Monday, July 2, 2012

Nature withdrawals


The last few weeks it has been extremely hard for me to get out for my daily hikes. I am finding the less I get out there, the more often I find myself back to self destructive behaviors and sliding back to a place I don't ever want to go again. I am not being true to me. Practicing good self care for me starts with my non-negotiable nature time each day. I have to stop neglecting myself. Tonight after dinner I took Monty and went for a much needed hike alone. It was delightful. I picked and ate wild mulberries and blueberries, listened to the sweet song of a thrush, drank in the scent of the woods and fields and laid down on the field and did some *earthing*. I feel much better after just a hour alone out in the forest with my dog. I feel like I went to gym, church and a therapist all in one hours time. I have to get back on track and make myself a priority again  each and every day. 

I've had in a few rehabs this week. I realized today as I fed a couple of tiny bunnies how much I feel like a kid again.  I have had a houseful of animals this week, and I'm in my glory.  I had a female box turtle that someone took thinking she needed help because she is missing a back foot.  It's a really old injury and she is at least 20 years old, so it hasn't stopped her from living.  Also had a female painted that got herself stuck in tar on her return trip from laying eggs.  I was able to give her oil baths and remove nearly all the tar. She was the largest Painted I've ever seen, beautiful turtle.  She was relocated to a pond where she will never have to cross a road again.  There are plenty of other turtles, a huge sandy beach to lay her eggs, lots of food and wonderful basking spots.  I also have in three bunnies, two are babies that are still taking formula and doing really well and the third is a young female who is having issues with her back legs.  I'm going to keep her for a bit and see how she does.  I also had a chipmunk who had an eye injury from a cat, I let him go today.  All four of the baby squirrels continue to grace me with their presence.  They have been free for at least a month now and are doing fantastic. 

As for feeder birds....WOW do we have babies galore this year!  I guess the weather has been near perfect for the parent birds to successfully raise their first broods of the season.  So far I've seen baby Grackles, Blue Jays, Sparrows, Red-wing Blackbirds, Hummingbirds, Tufted Titmouse, Chickadees, Robins, Mourning Doves, Downy woodpeckers. 

No comments: