Friday, April 30, 2010



Gorgeous day out. Petey and I decided to head up to Cascade Lake Park and go up to the beaver pond. It was the perfect weather for Petey to be comfortable hiking with his compromised heart. I am going to have to stick near water so he can dip in and keep his hikes to shorter less taxing distances. The beaver continues on in the pond, working on taking down a very large tree. All the leaves are unfurling, a bit early for those of us who warbler watch. Today's notables were deer, turkey, Red shoulder hawk, red tail hawk, red eye vireo, blue grey gnatcatcher. After we finished up on Cascade I stopped at the property and walked down by the water, two wood ducks are still hanging around! So hopeful they decide to nest in one of our boxes.

Another rehab in last night, a bunny. Don't think he should have been taken in, is just about ready to be on his own. Rabbits don't do well in rehab, they die of fright more often then we are able to save them. People need to leave them alone and let nature take it's course. The squirrels are doing fantastic, I went to see them last night. They are ready for soft release.

Took Petey to a 3rd Cardiologist on Tuesday. My gut was right, the other two wait for heart failure to treat DCM. Our new Doctor treats now, trying to keep the heart in better shape to give them more time. I felt so hopeless the last 4 months at the mercy of doctors I had no confidence in. Now at least I feel that I am doing all I can for Petey. He was put on 4 different medications. He is already to Moderate/Severe Occult stage, heart failure expected about 6 months to a year from now with out trying medication. With medication we might get another year or so. It was worth the 4 hour round trip to see Dr. Goodwin. He is a wonderful caring man. Petey and I are lucky to have found him.

No comments: