Wednesday, October 7, 2009

New Bucket List






Tonight I saw another bear up at Cascade Lake Park. He was across the stream and I was able to get right to the edge and take his picture. Petey then had to ruin it, by leaping in the stream, swimming across and chasing him. Petey won't be doing that again anytime soon. No more chasing bears. This bear made for a total of eleven sightings over a 15 day period. I'm a lucky women.

A good friend and I were talking about her new goal in life, something big on her bucket list, she plans to hike the AT. She is over 50 and has started already, hiking on the weekends the portions close to home. Hearing this kind of put a little pit in my stomach that I should have an ambitious goal like her, she hasn't spent even a fraction of the time I have out in the woods in nature. But I thought about it for a while and decided, this will be her time out there! This is her dream. For me, I'm not about big goals, never have been. I choose to live in the moment by the seat of my pants. I thought about what I really want for the rest of my life, and it is seeing animals in the wild. Seeing beautiful places are nice, but for me it is so much better if there is a bird, reptile, amphibian or mammal to see. Because of how I feel every time I see an animal in the wild, my bucket list is going to contain all opportunities to see and spend time watching wildlife. That's what I dreamed about since I was a child and was only able to see most animals in the books I constantly read or in the zoo. Finally in my 5th decade, those dreams are coming true for me, having been to Yellowstone National Park this past Summer has completely opened my eyes as to how much more there is out there for me to see.

No comments: