Monday, October 5, 2009

Red-Bellied Turtle



Several years ago I happened to notice this 12 inch turtle sunning herself on a log at a pond at one of my hiking spots. She is easily the size of 4 painted turtles, but would bask among them. I hadn't seen her since early Summer,and think about her every time I pass the preferred basking spot. Well today she was on the other side of the pond and I was able to walk right up to her and take a picture! She looks very healthy and I'm hopeful that she has another successful hibernation this up coming Winter. I'm not sure if he is one of our Native Red-Bellieds which would make her very rare for our area, or if she is a southern species who was purchased as a pet, and was let when they could no longer keep her because of the immense size. Where ever she came from, I always enjoy sightings of her, and today was no exception, and it was even more special because most reptiles are already starting to dig down and hibernate, awaiting the first frost. What a terrific gift to see her today.

No comments: