Saturday, March 22, 2014

Snowy again


Well I finally caught up with the Snowy Owl again last night!  What a amazing creature it is.  My friend Matt took these two photos, he saw 4 just before this one, so there are now a total of 5 out there in the Black Dirt.  I stayed past dark and was rewarded with 4 short-eared owls flying over and around us.  A lone Woodcock also flew over!  Wonderful start to my weekend.

Hundreds of Blackbirds are around.  I went out for ducks this past week and saw Wood, Ring-neck and Gadwall.  The chipmunks are all up.  We still have some snow on the ground, today it's very warm so it should be melting soon.  So hopefully Spring Peepers in a few days!  Lots of Hawks out and about.  Two Owls hit by cars last night.  Both on County Route 1.  They both flew off. 

I signed up for yet another volunteer opportunity.  I will be taking a training class to become a Nature Watch volunteer at the Basha Kill.  I will be teaching the public about Eagles and Osprey.  There are nests up at the Bash, and they supply spotting scopes to show the public the birds.  I'm excited.  Today I took my NAAMP quiz and I passed it!  I now have my driving route and it's GREAT!  It takes me into Harriman State Park!  I will have hubby go with me on my 4 nights of monitoring.

Spring Equinox came in at 1:57pm on the 20th.  My *baby* turned 20 on the same day.  Where has the time gone?  I am for sure heading into a new part of life, and I am really enjoying it.  I love my dog walking/pet sitting work and all the nature volunteer opportunities I have signed up for.  

No comments: