Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Harbinger of Spring!



Those of us who spend a great deal of our lives wrapped up in the cycles of nature know that sightings of certain birds mark the beginning or the end of a season. This morning under my bird feeder were two beautiful Redwing Blackbirds. They are the start of the Northward push of hundreds of species of birds that all of us birders eagerly look forward to. It will be with a heavy heart I say goodbye to my Winter feeder birds, especially the Irruptive Pine Siskins that have spent their Winter heartily eating the expensive Thistle I've provided for them. It is getting close to the time where they go from just trying to find enough food to survive to a time of abundance and family raising. Although I love living in the northeast,because all of our seasons are so evenly spaced, Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year. There isn't a day that goes by that you don't see dozens of different kinds of birds. I especially love the Spring because once quiet forests come alive with bird song. Warms my heart....something wonderful to look forward to the next couple of weeks as it all unfolds.

Later on....
It was such a gorgeous day that I rushed home from work, put on my hiking boots and took Petey out for a quick hike, it was dark by the time we got out of the woods at the Co. Park. So lovely to hear the streams all running full force again.

No comments: