Monday, May 5, 2014

A Ten Day!



Today was a top ten day of birding in 2014 for me.  I set out on my daily hike with Monty and had no expectations, soon as I headed up the trail it was evident it was going to be a good day of birding!  The tree tops were full of Neotropical Wood Warblers!  Leafless trees made this a dream come true for us birders who wait years for perfect conditions to view the tiny warblers that love the tops of very tall trees.  Precious little gems of the forest. Species for the day: Yellow-rumped, Blackburnian, Northern Parula, Blackpoll, Black & White, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Worm Eating & Hooded. Ovenbird, Baltimore Oriole, Orchard Oriole, Northern Waterthrush, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-shouldered Hawk. I also heard Great Horned owl calling, young must be out of the nests!  I also watched in amazement as a Woodchuck climbed about 40 feet up in a tree.  I've never seen that before.  Nature is always full of incredible surprises.  You need to get out there to see them!  I have to add....I LOVE MY IPHONE.  Having my field guides in my pocket is the best thing ever!  

No comments: