Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lapland Longspur




I had a very long week of work, very cold weather, hubby having foot surgery, and son Jason having a car accident. I didn't get out for a walk again for the rest of the week. Petey has been very patient,and behaving very well despite having no exercise again for many days. Today Bobby, Petey and I decided to head out to Pine Island and see what Tundra Birds are spending the Winter out on the farm fields. I was not disappointed, in fact I am very happy that we went! I got Lapland Longspur for my life list! There were two of them, several hundred horned lark, a hundred Snow Buntings and 4 Rough-Legged Hawks, two Dark Phase. Lots of Redtails, Sparrows and Juncos. Very successful birding trip. On the way home we drove past a bee tree! I could see the honey combs sticking out of a hollow, it isn't often that you find one. We stopped at the County Park and ran Petey for a little bit up at the golf course, he loved the large expanses of snow to run over, was so excited to be out there! Three male Robins, a few Juncos and Chickadees were up at the park. Yesterday flying near the park were two Black Vultures.

Feeder birds yesterday and today, are in the hundreds. Flocks of Cardinals, White Throated Sparrows, Juncos, Finches, Purple, House and Gold (gorgeous male Purple yesterday) Mourning Doves, Downy and Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmouse, Chickadees, Nuthatch, BH Cowbirds, Starlings, Crows and two Carolina Wrens.

As for my eating....I've been doing fantastic! Eating very healthy, I'm really feeling good being off of the wheat.

No comments: