Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Like clockwork



I'm still sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee in my PJs and bird watching. Happy for getting to sleep in, on a week day with my sweetie Petey because my sons have a week off from school. All of a sudden twenty large dark birds come strolling in to the yard....TURKEYS!!! I've been waiting and hoping that I would get my flock from last year back, and here they are. I can't think of any place on earth that I'd rather be right now then sitting at my kitchen table watching the birds and squirrels enjoy the banquet I set out for them each day. The cost of the food is minuscule compared to the complete utter joy of watching all of these creatures up close and personal on a daily basis. How could I mind doing anything in my kitchen? I look out either window and I have a nature show that rivals any program I've ever seen on TV. Today's notable cast also includes a dozen Gray squirrels, a Red Squirrel, female coopers hawk, Pines siskins, Purple finches, brown headed cowbirds, Carolina Wrens and my usual Winter cast of ....the flock of cardinals, Chickadees, bluejays, T.Titmouse, Downeys, Red-Bellieds, Mourning Doves, Starlings, House Finch, Juncos, W.T. Sparrows, Goldfinch, Nuthatches, Tree Sparrows. Over the last two decades of living in this house, I could have had a roomfuls of nice furniture if I hadn't spent so much money on bird seed. All those possessions would need to be replaced now after growing a active houseful of boys for the last twenty years, I think my investment in helping all these creatures survive, and filling my heart with joy each and everyday was a far better investment. I hope my sons have received the gift of nature from all that has surrounded them their entire lives, it is a gift that initial cost is nothing, and it lasts a lifetime. When you see nature with open eyes...you are never bored or depressed you just need to look around to find something interesting to focus on and change your outlook for the day. My heart is full and happy today, my turkies are back and I hope they visit everyday for the next couple of months, their cracked corn will be waiting for them each morning. They can depend on me.

Later on 1:30pm...Two hour hike with Petey up in the Co. Park. Beautiful clear cold day. I let Petey do his zoomies on the little pond,that was the first time I've ever let him even walk on it, as the last two Winters it was not trust worthy enough. We also saw three deer, Petey went to talk chase, but came right to me when called, today...I had a pocket full of treats...which was big surprise for him!

No comments: