Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!




I have a lot to be thankful for this past year. It was a year full of good fortune and lots of great nature trips!

I started the year going to Vermont with people from work. We stayed at Stratton Mountain, such a pretty area. I love to go snow shoeing there.

Next trip was to Florida for a blissful week in April. We spent time with hubby's late father and his wife in Naples, good birding a nice boat ride with my MIL in the mangroves at a Nature Conservancy property. The community they live in is actually a Audubon Sanctuary, I love it there, birds and animals everywhere. Later on in the week, we headed to Punta Gorda, and spread my grandparents ashes on the gulf. It was a beautiful day, residents of Windmill Village took our family out on five different boats out to the bay. It truly was a wonderful way to celebrate the lives of my Grandparents. I was on a boat with two of my cousins, and really enjoyed being with them and talking. Bald Eagles flying over, dolphins swimming with the boats. Everyone stayed down in FL for a few days, we stayed at my mothers rental. Lots of birds, spectacular bald eagle experience,we were able to get right next to a nest and watch two immature eaglets right up close and personal. While there I met a couple of women who told me how to get to a burrowing owls nest, we found it and got to watch a pair of owls in their hole.

Next we were off to Letchworth State Park for Memorial Day weekend. I love that park we stay in the same cabin every year, and it is like coming home for me. Lots of Warblers, beautiful weather, good food and friends, what more could I want??

Our family vacation was to CA. We started out up in Point Reyes National Seashore, spent a couple days up there hiking around and eating tons of great food. I love the markets in CA, everything is so fresh and healthy. Next we went down to Monterrey, spent a couple of days there, did a whale watching trip for humpbacks and possible pelagic birds, and went to the aquarium. Sea Lions, seals, and lots of Sea Otters everywhere. Monterrey has to be one of my favorite places on earth. The restaurant are excellent, food and views. Two nights I sat and watched sea otters and sea lions while eating dinner, I was in heaven. Next we went to Yosemite and stayed in a home about a half hour from the park. Really nice house and it was cool to see just how different CA is then home. They have been in a drought for many years now, lots of wild fires all over the state. Yosemite is GORGEOUS, pictures just don't do it justice. Lots of birds to watch, nothing new for the life list, but still nice to see beautiful birds. The last night we spent in San Fransisco. Another great meal, fun city. We were bumped from our flight home, and ended up getting six free tickets to anywhere in the lower forty eight....this Summer....Yellow Stone!

Next Bobby, Petey and I went on a camping trip up to Rome, NY. We had a nice time with Bobby's family.

Labor Day weekend brought us to Maine for four nights, we stayed on a pond in Bridgetown and visited with my sister. Listened to loons at night.

A couple of weeks later I drove down to Long Island and got on a plane with my best girlfriends from HS, we went to of all places Las Vegas NV. Crazy place, not my cup of tea at all, but good to be with friends. Three of us took a small plane to the Grand Canyon...that made the trip very memorable for me, as I got to see a CA Condor...actually two of them. Just incrediable how big they are. I spend every Friday for ten weeks in the Fall at a hawk watch, so seeing a Condor for me is a huge deal.

A few weeks after this trip hubby and I joined boarded a cruise ship! We went to be with his brother as he married his long time girlfriend. The ceremony was so touching, nice to see such a happy couple so committed to each other. After wards we set off for eight nights down to St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Haiti. In St. Thomas we went Kayaking and snorkeling in the Mangrove Forrest, which serves as a nursery for baby fish. favorite part of the entire trip for me. Funny there were only three of us from the cruise ship that signed up for this trip. Not too many cruising people like real nature experiences! I got a couple of new birds, and the snorkeling was amazing. So many fish to see. I could do that everyday. Reminded me of being a kid on LI. I spent so much of my childhood snorkeling. In Puerto Rico we took a trip to the Rain forest, I loved it there. Got a couple of new birds. I found it really neat to be out on the ocean, seeing sunsets, sunrises and stars. I wouldn't do another cruise down to that area, but I would do one to Alaska or a nature one. I did have a really great time with our family. Came home very rested.

Final trip of the year was to Maine for Thanksgiving. We rented a beautiful log home at Sunday River Maine. House was large enough that we all were comfortable, everyone was able to help cook and clean. I found it to be my favorite Thanksgiving in a very long time. Quality time with my family, mom, sister and her daughters.

My goals for the coming year are to get in good enough shape to start backpacking again. I have a great desire to get out into nature away from people, to experience the quiet of the wilderness. Petey will be doing these trips with hubby and I.

No comments: