Saturday, March 28, 2009

Deafening

After a silent Winter of hiking, the woods are coming alive with the sounds of Spring. Yesterday up in the County Park there were finally Wood Frogs in the Vernal Pool and Spring Peepers at the Pond. Tonight there were so many Spring Peepers at the pond that their songs were deafening. The temperature has been around 60 degrees and sunny. Gorgeous start to our Spring. We saw many deer today, Petey came right back to me, and stayed by my side to watch them run. I'm feeling so much better, with a little sunshine and warmth.

Again this year I am participating in Project Frog Watch. Each day I record the frogs I hear on a website to help with monitoring populations of frogs. Their numbers and species present in an area are a barometer as to how polluted an area is, our information helps scientist keep track of them.

No comments: