Monday, March 2, 2009

Struggle of Life...


Today we are getting a accumulation of snow. It is beautiful out. There are literally 300-400 birds in the yard right now, feeding. The migration has started and migratory birds are coming and going to the locations that they will soon embark on their parenting journey once again. The Pine Siskin flock is well over one hundred birds now, and have been joined by Red Wing Black Birds and Grackles. Their lives are a constant struggle, not a day goes by that they don't fight to stay alive. As I sit here drinking my morning coffee their drama of life unfolds before my eyes as I watch a Coopers Hawk come in and try for a meal. She will continue to hang around the yard until she is successful with her hunt. She must eat to survive. Putting food out for the perching birds also feeds her. It isn't a pretty picture, but it is the reality of nature. Sadly I begin think back to the crow that hung around here for most of this Winter. He showed up alone, and started spending all day and night in our yard. Upon closer inspection with a pair of Binoculars, I could see he had growths all over his body. They were on his feet and face. He looked so worn out and tired. He had been ostracized from his mob, he was the weakest link, a liability to the other crows. Occasionally I would see several other crows picking on him. If I went outside, they flew away, he did not, he sort protection from us. He took refuge on our little acre, he became less afraid of us so he could survive a little longer. Reality is, in nature only the strongest healthiest survive, there is always another creature waiting to take advantage of any weakness, it is how they will survive another day. Most days he could be seen in our yard at any given time of day, he was eating the cracked corn that I spread out for the ground birds each day. Feeling badly for him, I began to put out more substantial food, left over meat. About two weeks ago he was moving around very slowly and I thought to myself he wasn't long for this world, and the next morning I found him on the ground dead. His struggle was over. I hope he had found a little relief due to my feedings but now looking back, maybe I helped him to suffer longer then he needed to. Nature doesn't tolerate weakness of any kind, and because of that, there are no lingering illnesses for wild animals, they pass quickly and naturally. Being human, I am drawn to help those in need. I don't want to see any creature suffer, maybe it is wrong for me to interfere. Another life lesson learned, but not necessarily taken, as my struggle to understand the universe continues, mother nature, as always is the best teacher for me.

Petey and I got out and hiked 2 hours Friday,2 hours Saturday and 1 hour on Sunday! Today we hope to get out in the snow later on when the roads get plowed well enough to get to the Co. Park....I am looking forward to seeing Petey enjoy the snow and using my snowshoes one more time!

Notable birds this weekend out in Pine Island, 2 Long Ear owls, as well has Harriers, Rough Legged Hawks(several stunning Dark Phase), Horned Lark and Snow Geese.

No comments: