Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Peepers!


One of my all time favorite sounds on earth....is the song of a Spring Peeper, it brings with it's late Winter voice the promise of another beautiful Spring. Each Winter I look forward to the melt and the emergence of Reptiles and Amphibians from hibernation. Every year since I started keeping records, I can pretty much guess the day when I will hear or see certain species. I enjoy this time of year more then any other, watching the rebirth of the earth is so awe inspiring, that I never tire of the miracle.

Yesterday I spent a delightful day at the Bronx Zoo with my hubby and two of my sons. We had the place almost com;letey to ourselves as it was St. Patrick's Day. The weather was gorgeous and temperatures went up to around 50 degrees. We enjoyed watching all the wild animals and each others company. It was truly special to be in some the the buildings completely alone with only my family. I've been to the zoo at least twenty or more times, and this by far was the most deserted I've ever seen it. Terrific day had by all four of us.

On the way home I asked hubby to drive down the back road and stop the car where I first hear the Peepers each year, and yes they were singing! A wonderful day was just made even more special for me. As we drove on I asked hubby to pull over again(met by huffs...as son number one wanted to get back up to college for the celebration) by a stream so I could look for a bird, and surprise...it was there too! A Snipe. Now tonight I'm hoping to hear woodcock calling as I BBQ. Spring is officially here for me!!!!!!!

No comments: