Monday, March 9, 2009

Green Morph Pine Siskin!


My flock of Pine Siskins are eating me out of thistle seed at an alarming rate. This is the first Winter I have ever finished a bag. I think it has been well worth the expense, to have these delightful birds all day long cheerfully hanging around the house. This could be the only time for the rest of my life that I have them as common feeder birds. They have little fear of humans and I expect would hand feed if given half a chance. Today I was lucky to have a Gorgeous Green Morph visiting right at the window feeder! What a stunning guy he is! I had heard that they exist and had never seen as many Siskins as this year, so that certainly increased my odds of seeing such a rare variation. Now if only I could get a picture of him, he was all of twelve inches from my camera....and I still couldn't snap it in time!

Chipmunks are all out of their semi-hibernation. They are all busy feeding like crazy, getting ready for the babies who will be coming in a few weeks time. Yesterday it was so warm and beautiful out, I was able to clean out the pond and fill it with water for over an hour. The pump is defrosted and up and running. I lost 3 of my old goldfish, only 1 remains of the orginals. Looks like all their offspring are still with us. The cycle of life will continue with them.


Today it is rainy out and in the 40s. Petey has some sores on three of his feet and our veterinarian said he is not allowed to go for a run until Friday, so we will be house bound until then. Not a bad place to be if you are sitting at my kitchen table! I think Petey will disagree....he loves his runs!

No comments: