Thursday, March 12, 2009

Give your dog a bone!



Petey and I are nearing a second anniversary on our Raw feeding journey. The day I picked my red boy up from the breeder, he had loose stool on the ride home, thankfully he alerted us so we could stop the car and take him out. The loose stool continued. During his first ten weeks with us, I tried several types of premium kibble, digestive aids, two trips to the vet for antibiotics, tons of boiled rice and meat meals, and even over the counter anti-diarrhea medications. He would have semi solid poops and then the first meal back on kibble the huge cow patties returned, lots of them everyday. I was told by my vet he couldn't help me, this must be a food issue, I was on my own. I was upset for the entire first two and a half months I owned him. It was so hard to enjoy his puppy-hood while worrying every waking moment what was wrong with him. I started to study home cooked and raw. I had ventured in to a bit when Uno was diagnosed with Cancer. The day of the diagnosis I never fed him another bite of kibble, I found a cancer diet, and fed him Delicious meals with rice, meat and vegetables, he loved it and only missed one day of eating, despite being so sick. When Petey was around 4 months old, I joined a forum, and there was a Raw-feeding fact section written by a veterinarian. I read every page of it, I joined a couple of internet groups, and decided to just do it. Petey was 20 weeks old when we made the switch cold turkey. Overnight...his poop was solid and he only went once a day. His coat transformed from dull to glossy and he gained 16 pounds in a month. We had some ups and downs in the early days, fussy eating, throwing up bones, lots of wasted food. In the first few weeks I tried to give him a little kibble on two occasions, thinking how easy it would be to just pour his food in the bowl, and both times he had explosive diarrhea. After the second time, the kibble actually made him feel sick all day.....I decided to never again feed him kibble. I think he has IBS issues, just like his mommy! We have never looked back. Raw is what Petey needs to be healthy and happy. I have continued to do my research, always willing to learn all I can about keeping my boy healthy. I've also helped many people start on their own raw journey with their dogs. I truly believe it to be the best I can do for my baby boy. I want to do everything in my power to keep him healthy for the long haul. So in celebration of Petey starting his 3rd year on Raw feeding.....give your dog a bone!!


On the nature front, starting to hear lots of bird song in the mornings. I continue to hope for a shot at that Green Siskin! I sit camera in hand every morning. I still have a flock of about 100 coming to the feeders at about 7:30am every day. I am really going to miss them. I make sure that I get outside and fill the feeders first thing so I can sit and have my coffee and watch them all feed, knowing that there is a good chance this will be the only time in my life that I ever have such a huge flock. I'm enjoying every last minute watching them. Larger flocks of Juncos now under the feeders, eating corn and millet. Lots of Redwing Blackbirds, Brown Headed Cowbirds and Grackles continue to wipe out the corn everyday.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi!

I stumbled upon your blog in one of the forums where you are a member and just like you I own a Doberman pincher and soon two more..I have a soft spots for Dobermans because of their loyalty and intelligence..

Anyway, one thing I observed about them are their sensitivity to food and at one point in time I have switched from one dog food to another because she would always have a skin problem.

I am interested to know about the way you feed your dog. He seems very healthy and happy. I would do anything I could to make mine as healthy and happy.

Thank you!

Angela