Monday, March 16, 2009

Vernal Pool



I have a fascination with vernal pools. For the last decade I look forward to watching the miracle of life unfold in all the pools in the County Park that I frequent. A vernal pool is a temporary body of water that is usually devoid of fish. Amphibians congregate in them and lay their eggs. Every Spring any day from now until April the woods around the pools will be full of Wood frog and Spring Peeper song. The Wood frogs only need a couple of days with temperatures above 40 degrees, and a little rain to come out in force. Their bodies are able to freeze and not die. What I really look forward to is the emergence of Spotted Salamanders. They usually come out on a rainy night after several nights of 40 degree temperatures. The males congregate first in what is called a congress. They leave their spermotrophites for the females who follow soon after. This rare happening is what we vernal pool freaks call THE BIG NIGHT! We anxiously await the perfect storm, checking the weather channel, the barometer and the temperature, when it seems perfect, we head in to the dark rainy night armed with flashlights and hope to see hundreds of these eight inch giant salamanders. It is a phenomenon that everyone that loves amphibians should see at least once in their lifetime. Two years ago we hit the big night...Hubby and son number two came with me, and the next night my two youngest boys came with me. It was so much fun to finally see these mythical creatures. I was actually able to pick one up. I'm waiting checking the weather channel....it's like Christmas morning for me!!!

No comments: