Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1, 2011













I have the seven squirrels back now. 5 female reds, 1 female gray and 1 male gray. They are almost old enough to release. I've weened them off the bottles and started to dish feed the reds. I've gathered some natural foods for them and will be putting the cages outside today or tomorrow. They will spend about two weeks getting used to the sights and sounds of the yard, and then the cages will be opened. They will be allowed to return to the nest boxes each night to sleep. I will provide food for them all winter.

Yesterday was my regular day at the hawk watch. I did a 8 hour shift and was rewarded with 152 birds. Lots of fantastic company as well! I've also taken tomorrow which looks very promising for a nice count. It's dreaded Applefest...crowds of people headed to our lovely little town. The traffic makes it impossible for anyone to get around.

I'm feeling pretty good about some of the things I've added to my life. I'm proud that I took the steps to become a certified naturalist, a wildlife rehabilitator and also an official counter at the Mt. Peter Hawk Watch. I feel as though I'm beginning to fulfill my destiny, doing what I was born to do. Now if only I could come up with a job that encompasses some of what I love.

No comments: