Thursday, April 10, 2014

WRNWR

Today I volunteered at the Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge for a couple of hours.  I helped survey a few different  vernal pools. We collected data about each pool while wading through in waders.  I loved it! One of the pools had Jefferson Salamander eggs!  Most only contained Wood Frog eggs.  I even loved it when I got stuck in the mud, fell to my knees and filled the waders with water. After we finished up with the Vernal Pools,  I was taken to a Heron Rookery to check on it. What an amazing paradise.    A gorgeous wet land full of beavers, ducks, turtles and 25 or so occupied Great Blue Heron nests.  Last week two otters were seen there, very exciting for my friend who works at the refuge..  I feel very privileged to see something so amazing, it made my day.  I also saw a flock of Turkeys and Rusty Blackbirds.


On my way home I stopped to check on two suspected Red-tail nests, BOTH had birds sitting on eggs!  What a day!

Photo by Matt Zeitler

No comments: