Sunday, October 6, 2013

24 hours

The final 24 hours of the trip was truly perfect.  For the very first time in my adult life I did what I wanted to do while on this vacation.  I ate what I wanted and did exactly what I felt like for 7 straight days.  Having spent the last 26 years consumed with raising my 4 sons and taking care of my hubby, I've entered a mid-life crisis where I feel it's life is going far to quickly to not do what I love, and do it with out guilt.  Guilt is a very big problem with me. I never feel like I deserve the good things in my life.  The  7 days at the cottage was a perfect vacation  for me.  It took me a few days to stop worrying about my hubby not being totally bored. I  spent huge amounts of time just watching the ocean, looking at birds and star gazing. I slept in a cozy comfortable bed with the windows wide open each night so I could hear and smell the scent of the ocean.  I awoke to the sound of the ocean, and magnificent sunrises that I didn't even have to get out of bed for.  Each day I hiked in a private forest with the Balsam scents that remind me of Maine. I  marveled at the ground covering mosses.  I've never seen so many acres covered with moss.  It was a stunning forest and I was totally unable to capture it's vast beauty in photos.  All sorts of varieties of lichens and mosses covered every rock and tree. Each more interesting then the next.   Birds, squirrel songs and chatter filling the air.  Time with my spotting scope watching Harbor Seals while I sipped delicious hot tea.  Bald Eagles and Osprey showing up randomly.  Thoughtfully prepared breakfast, lunches and dinners that rivaled any meal I could have purchased at a restaurant.  Fresh organic veggies and daily caught Lobsters, clams and Haddock.  Afternoons spent walking on a local beach, playing ring toss with the pup.  Fires in the wood-stove.  No tv or radio blaring. Actually little talk.  Time for clearing out my head.  The only meal we ate out was just before we set out on our journey home, we ate at the Dip Net in Port Clyde. I had Lobster Eggs Benedict  It was simply delicious,  perfectly cooked and the best Benedict I've ever eaten.  It has surpassed the memorable one I had in the grand Tetons made with smoked trout.  My heart and soul are rested, and I feel centered and less scattered.  I have a plan.  I need to really dig in and simplify my life.  It is time to get rid of the stuff.



No comments: