Thursday, October 3, 2013

Seals

Nothing better then starting the day with an amazing sunrise except.....looking out at the ocean and seeing 2 harbor seals lounging on the rocks in front of the cottage.  Hot Tea in hand, I headed out to the deck with my bins and spotting scope and watched the  duo for more then a half hour. Shortly before the tide came in and floated them off the rocks, another  seal swam in and looked at them.  What a delightful way to start the day!  I can watch wildlife for hours and never get bored.





We went on a Morning hike thru the sphagnum bog. The forest is amazing. The floor is covered with moss and lichens.  Tall conifers fill the landscape.  Red squirrels announce your arrival as you meander thru the trails.  The have have huge piles of pine cone seeds where they sit and eat.  Pileated woodpeckers fly thru the canopy.  The scent is intoxicating.












Another blissful day in tenants harbor.  Tonight I was blessed to look out at the rocks further out from our cottage and low and behold there were 6 seals hauled out on the rocks! I was able to watch them with the spotting scope  until the tide rose above their rocks and pushed them back into the sea.  They try so hard to stay on the rocks until the very last second.    I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I truly missed my calling...should have been a wildlife field biologist.  I never tire of watching wildlife.   Other people get bored within minutes, I can watch for hours.   During our trip to Yellowstone this past spring I found that to be true....no one wanted to watch a sow and cub for an hour, I couldn't get enough, everyone else was in the car eating granola bars.....I was glued to my scope!

Although after this week of pure bliss, I've found no resolution of what to do with my life now as my children leave home......I feel very peaceful and happy .  :-) This has been an amazing week.  So very blessed to be able to stay in such an amazing home with the most spectacular views ever .    BLESSED beyond words.

No comments: