Saturday, October 12, 2013

Great Blue Heron

For the past couple of weeks we have had a young Great Blue Heron visiting our pond.  In no time at all he whipped out all my goldfish and most of the frogs.  He continues to come.  Yesterday Monty chased him up on to the canopy, and I stood looking up and he flew over my head.  Pretty cool to have a big bird like that almost touching you while in flight.  This morning I was still in bed having my tea and all of a sudden, he landed on top of the canopy right near my bedroom window!  I watched him for about 5 minutes until he flew down into the pond. What a beautiful bird.  Again I'm drawn to Animal Symbols, since so many wild birds have been around me lately. This is what I came up with. 

The medicine of the Great Blue Heron is one of self-determination and self-reliance, as a water dweller they are closely related to the energy of emotions and going with the flow of life.  Their long and steady legs are symbolic of the ability to stand on one’s own, as the Heron is a lone hunter it signifies the ability of one to be able to tap into their own greatness and power to sustain and fulfill themselves on their way.   In the spiritual sense the Great Blue carries the message of connecting and exploring other realms while connected here on earth.  Those that carry the medicine of Great Blue’s are ones that can be termed Jack of all Trades, needing a life where they can engage in a variety of activities and dimensions while on earth, living in a way where they are pulled in the direction of the unique flow of their heart and path and often times in a way that goes against the structured and “secure” way of societal norm.  (Animal Speak by Ted Andrews)

Last week while we were away my son found a gorgeous baby Milk Snake in our home.  I asked him to put it in one of my reptile cages so I could see it when I returned home.  What a beautiful creature.  


On today's hike, the forest was full of migrating birds.  Lots of Thrush, Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets.  The weather today is gorgeous, a warm 74 degrees, beautiful blue skies and nice clouds. 

Yesterday I had another pitiful time at the hawk watch...9 Birds total!

No comments: